Opening to Aoi Honoo (Blue Blazes) pays homage to:
- Anime Tenchou - directed by Hideaki Anno, AD by Hiroyuki Imaishi
- Pani Poni Dash! - key animation by You Yoshinari
- Tottemo! Luckyman - key animation by mentioned in the show Yoshinori Kanada
- Musashi Samurai Legend - key animation by Hiroyuki Imaishi
- Gaiking: Legend of Daiku-Maryu - key animation by Yoshinori Kanada
Those things growing out of this giant Australian cuttlefish (Sepia apama) are its skin papillae. It can extend and retract its papillae at will, helping it alter its texture to better blend in with its surroundings.
Both papillae expression and color change are controlled by visual, not tactile, cues. This means that these guys don’t need to actually touch anything to decide on their camouflage strategy.
Just by looking, they are clever enough to decide what sort of color, pattern, and texture is needed to virtually disappear.
video source: Roger Hanlon on Youtube
reference: Allen et al. 2009.
Leaf bug (Phyllium giganteum)
The constant wobbling as they move is a part of their disguise, making it seem as though the “leaf” is only moving because of a light breeze.
If you blow on one it will also shake around in the hopes of matching any actual surrounding leaves